Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimmer Switch Stuck On

I have this dimmer switch in my room and it appears to have been pressed in too hard and the part that flips it on and off is now stuck. I have removed the outer covering to the switch and by using a screwdriver on the lowest screw I can tighten it to make the light go off, but the switch is still hot.

An electrician is coming... some time this week I think, however if it's not hard, could someone tell me how to fix this?

If I switch off the power to this room, is it safe and or wise to remove the screws that hold the actual switch in place and attempt to repair, or should I leave it be and wait for the professional?

It's not a difficult job to put in a new dimmer. If you're not comfortable doing it and an electrician is already coming out, I would buy a new dimmer and ask him to do it. If you've got the part, he'll probably do it free. If it's a 3-way switch (two switches control one light), make sure you get that type.

Comment

Turn the power off before you replace the switch not only for a safety factor but also because dimmer switches dont like it if you ground out the hot wire, it will burn up the dimmer switch, somethings you learn the hard way. All the electricians I know will not drive to your house and replace a switch for nothing, most of them have a 1 hour minimum charge

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
        All the electricians I know will not drive to your house and replace a switch for nothing, most of them have a 1 hour minimum charge
        Maybe I misunderstood his post. I thought he was saying an electrician was already scheduled to come out to his house (for something else I presumed). If that is the case, I think he might replace the switch no charge.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =