Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch to Outlet Wiring

I am hoping someone can help me with my wiiring dilema. I have a single pole switch which controls the top receptacle of two outlets. I want to change the outlets so only the first outlet is controlled by the switch. What I did was replace the second outlet with one where the connector between the two hot poles (brass screws) was not broken and replaced all the wires the way they were originallly: two whites to the silver screws, bare ground wire to the green screw, red wire to the top brass screw. What remained was two black wires where one was connected to the bottom brass screw and the other was inserted into a hole at the bottom near the brass screw. I simply reconnected the wires as they were originally connected but the new outlet now has the connector between the brass screws in place.
    This did accomplish the task of makeing both the receptacles in the second outlet live but unfortunately, the switch no longer controls the first outlet (both receptacles are live it that one as well). I have not looked into the first outlet to see how it is wired. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!

Switched outlet

The following diagram hopefully will straighten out your wiring dilemms.

The first diagram has its feed in the switches' wall box - the second has its feed in the first outlet box. The red wire in the first diagram between the second and third box is just removed and wire nutted for safety. The top half of the first outlet is switched, the bottom is hot and the third outlet is hot on both ends.
    The second diagram, the tops of both outlets are switched, the bottoms are always hot.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =