Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Electricity to a Shed

I would like to install a storage shed in my backyard for use as a recording studio. So, I'll need electricity. How do I get enough power to the building to plug in my computer, keyboard, space heater, and a light?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!

Chris

Chris,

Depending on the size of electrical enterance into your house and if you have any room left in your power panel you may be able to install a 60 amp breaker in your current panel and run a direct burial cable out to the shed and into a sub-panel. From there you would wire the shed as per normal.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

I'm interested in this same topic. I've built a shed and I'm now considering how to run power there. There is room in my panel for another couple circuits and I'm planning on putting a small subpanel on the shed. My question is how to get the power there. The building is about 10 feet off the corner of my house. My electrical panel is about 30 feet from this corner. The first option is to dig a 40 foot trench for the burial cable directly to the shed. This sounds like a lot of digging. Is it possible to run the cable along the wall of the house in some conduit and then bury it for the last 10 feet?

I don't know much about all of this. I have a brother-in-law who's an electrician and volunteered to help me with this, but before I go and ask him about this, I'd like to be a little less ignorant. I hate appearing dumb in front of in-laws. <g>

Comment

you cannot put UF cable in conduit so no you would have to burry it
        nate

Comment

minimum burial for cable is 24 inches. cable can be protected in conduit where it exits the ground for mechanical protection. cable to the shed must be a four wire cable or four seperate wires in a pvc or metal conduit. sub panel in shed must have an auxillary grounding strip and a non bonded neutral bar.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =