Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can lights in soffit...

I am currently siding my garage with vinyl siding and am installing new aluminum soffit. I thought it would be cool to install can lights in the aluminum soffit, one above each garage door (2) and then either 2 or 3 on the side that faces a deck off the back of the house. My questions...

-I want this to be used as security lighting as well. Therefore, I want to put the loads on a motion sensor, do they sell an exterior motion sensor that I can put ~5 can lights on, preferably one with a photocell so it will not turn on unless it is dark out.

-Since this will be protected by the roof (the over-hang is roughly 20" out) do I need to get exterior can lights or can I use interior ones? If I need exterior, where can I get them?

-What type of bulb do you recommend, MR-16s? Again, this will be for security, general lighting and just as a cool wall wash type accent.

Thanks

the motion sensor should be able to take up to 600 watts load. if the cans are out of the elements then an inside replacement can can be used.

Comment

There are no "interior" or "exterior" recessed housings. All are damp location rated. Certain trims are wet location rated, but you do NOT need them.
      That location is a damp location, and you can use any standard trim you want.

I would not go with MR-16s though. Too narrow a light pattern IMO. Go with a trim and housing that can take a 65 or 75 watt PAR lamp.

Comment

Thanks for reply, I'm glad I can just use interior housings and trims.

I was trying to get something more effecient than a PAR, if I install 5 of these then that would be 300-375 watts everytime it trips the motion sensor, I spose I can put the side and front of the garage on seperate motions to break it up a little.

My other question I forgot to ask was how would these install? I assume I should get new work and try to anchor it to the roof joists some how?

Thanks

Comment

the new work have brackets that slide into the can housing and nail or screw to the joist spacing(s) automatically they have a reveal of a 1/2 inch like for drywall so you'll have to move the bracket(s) up a half inch to bring the can even with the thin soffet material. the bezel is spring loaded to fit flush when you install it.

Comment

I have put in many can lights before (in drywall) so I know how they normally work. I guess I should have been more specific, sorry. Since the joists follow the roof pitch how would I attach the slide brackets? The joists are not parallel with the soffit as they would be in a normal ceiling install, how do they attach to a sloped joist? Thanks

Comment

If you use new work cans then you will have to attach them to the pitched roof joists, putting your cans on the roof pitch angle, you could build out the area that the can will fit (kinda box in the space) to get your cans level. Another choice would be to attached your cans on the roof pitch angle and buy eyeball can fittings so you can direct the light directly down.
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

cans in soffet

try this - screw four 1X2 pieces of wood inside the rafter space and then screw the bracket into the stick(s) drill a pilot hole in the stick bottom so it won't split when you screw the bracket onto it.

Comment

Originally posted by DKAudio View Post
                  Thanks for reply, I'm glad I can just use interior housings and trims.

I was trying to get something more effecient than a PAR, if I install 5 of these then that would be 300-375 watts everytime it trips the motion sensor, I spose I can put the side and front of the garage on seperate motions to break it up a little.
                  Cheap motion detectors are typically rated at 300 watts or less. A good one will be rated for much more. A RAB Stealth for instance is rated for 1000 watts.

Comment

So I pretty much would have to make some wood "brackets" that attach to the roof joists and can brackets (don't care for fish eye trim). I assumed that much but thought I would ask anyways

Very good, thanks for the replies everyone!

Comment

can lights

take a look at this

Comment

Very good, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =