Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring For Sconces

I want to install wall sconces in my hallway. I currently have one light in my hallway that is also the attic entrance. It is really ugly and puts out poor lighting. I have figure out most of wiring for installing the sconces except which boxes I need to install in the wall. I wasn’t sure if I should use a single gain box or a round ceiling box. These are the boxes I will be installing in the wall, which the sconces will be attaching to. I will be using “old work” boxes, which have tabs that hold against the backside of the drywall. It seems like the round ceiling one would work the best but not sure. Thanks.

Bryan

Bryan,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure that you need to use the octagon boxes so that you will have the proper mount holes. I have never seen a sconce that mount on a single box.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

How heavy are the sconces? The 'old work' box may not be able to carry the weight with those little tabs. I had to do something similar and I used a ceiling fan box with the extendable braces. You stick the brace into the hole where the box was going to go (standard size hole used for octagon box) and twist it until it bites into the two studs on either side. Then you attach the octagon box it comes with to the brace. The cost about $10 but it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =