Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused?? Switch controlled receptacle

**2nd request** Anyone willing to try this one out there???...My buddy called me over today because the switch controlled outlet inside his bedroom has been acting up for the last month. When he turns it on to watch the tv, it goes off after a few minutes. Meaning the whole outlet goes dead...as well as the other outlets in the room which are not part of the switch leg. The breaker doesn't trip. He says that after a while, they all begin to work again. Of course when I went over, the problem didn't occur. The switch is an illuminated switch and whats weird is that when it is off the receptacle has a little bit of power. My tester read about 6 - 12 volts. Also, the illumination or brightness of the switch is very weak when the receptacle is vacant but the second we plug in the tv, the switch lights up brighter. I don't get it. It appears to me that there is a leak in the system somewhere, but where?? all of the outlet connections appeared to be tight. Does anybody have any ideas?? Finally, when I test the hot and neutral side of the receptacle with the breaker off, I get continuity. Please help. Thank you.

Jaypeg,

Sounds like an interesting problem. If it were me I would start with replacing the switch and then the outlet to see if one of then is faulty. No other great ideas or sure fixes... sorry.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

I think I would try replacing the breaker, especially since the other outlets in the room go out to.

I guess a loose connection could cause these types of problems. Can you trace the romex from the breaker to the outlets? Do you find that it is past a certain point that they cease to work? If so, then that is where I would look.

Keep us updated...
      Try

Comment

My buddy is going to contact a licensed electrician to search for the problem. I can't wait myself to see what the cause was...if it can be found. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your reply's.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =