Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead light WAS controlled by 2 three way switches

I have really done it now! Took down the ceiling fixture to paint ceiling, and I knew better, but did not make note of how it was wired. This fixture is controlled by 2 three way switches. The ceiling box has 3 wires in it, red, black, and white, plus bare copper ground. The fixture has of course, only a white and black. I replaced the fixture by attaching the black and the white to the black and white of the fixture, and it works with only 1 of the switches. I know the red must connect to something, but before I make sparks, I would like to be advised where it goes. To the Black of the fixture with the black already in the box? Sort of sounds correct, but not sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas B. Macaulay

that's ALL that is in the box? three wires plus your fixture wire? something's not right here! the normal course for two three way switches is a hot is supplied to the odd colored screw at one switch location. the whites are spliced together. the black and red of the three way go on the two brass screws and go to the other switchbox and switch. the whites are spliced, a two wire goes to the load location. the red and black travelers go to the two brass in this switch location, the black of the load goes to the odd screw. at the fixture location the white and fixture white go together, the black and the fixture black go together. double check the number of wires in the ceiling box and get back to us.

Comment

Thanks HayZee518. I made a mistake in my original post. Right now I have the fixture connected white to white, and the black of the fixture to the red in the ceiling box. The ceiling light worked perfectly from both switches until I removed the fixture to paint the ceiling. I just checked the ceiling box and indeed there are only 3 wires in it; red, black, and white, plus a bare ground. All 3 have caps on them, which I did not remove or add, other than to remove the fixture. I wish I had made note of how it was before I messed with it! The fixture now works from only 1 of the 2 switches. I did not remove or modify either switch or how it is wired. Maybe I should change how I connect the fixture at the ceiling box, to be white to white, and black to black, not black fixture to red in the box? In as much as all 3 wires had caps on them, obviously one was not used. Thanks again.
      "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas B. Macaulay

Comment

three way

take a look at this diagram. if you only have three wires plus a ground then you have one half of a three way switching circuit. I've tried all different ways of wiring it and keep coming up with one half of the switching circuit.

Comment

HayZee518, Thanks for your quick and thorough response. I finished painting the room today, so I turned the breaker off (needed it on to power an outlet for a light). I checked the ceiling box to compare to the diagram you posted. There is only 3 coloured wires in the ceiling box; red, white, and black, plus bare copper ground. Anyway, I took down all 3 wires from the ceiling box to make sure the marettes (caps) were on tight, reconnected the fixture white to box white, and fixture black to box red. Stuffed the unused box black back into the box. Turned on the breaker and the light worked as it should, i.e. either switch turns it on, and either switch turns it off. I feel so stupid for having wasted your valuable time over the last 2 days, when you could have been helping others with real problems. Frankly, I have never understood the magic of 3 way switches or wiring. However, I can say I have a better understanding of it from what you have provided in your replies. I feel so stupid for wasting such a valuable resource as this forum. It is people like you that make my world a better place, knowing that spot on advice is available anytime. Thanks again, and just call me a dummy.

Comment

ok. from what you described to me [i.e. fixture black to cable red, black capped off] is that the guy that wired it used the three wire as a feed from the last switchbox to your fixture. by rights the black wire should have been clipped off and taped so, the three wire is actually functioning as a two wire. probably thats all he had was a piece of three wire.

Comment

Thanks HayZee518. I will clip off the black in the box and tape it off, so that if ever I have to remove the fixture again, I will have only 2 wires exposed and that will make it easy to reconnect. Thanks for all you have done for me on this issue.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =