Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring a projector to a switch? (will this work)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a projector to a switch? (will this work)

Ok so my parents own a cabin (was built sometime after 2001 so I would assume it meets almost any electrical code today) and it has a projector for a home theater type setup. Right now the projector is mounted to the ceiling (it is in a loft so everything is open) and has an ugly extension cord run to it to a wall outlet. My question is this...

Can I chop off the head of an extension cord and wire it to a ceiling fan (it is switched at the wall)? That way I can hide the cord in the rafters and make it look pretty.

The projector uses 300w max (if my calculations are correct thats less than 2.75 amps).

So yeah, can I rig it like that? is there a better way? basically, what should I do?

I suppose you can but wouldn't make more sense to put in a switchbox into the ceiling or off the fan's ceiling box with a receptacle. that way you'd have your "disconnecting means" --> the receptacle and cord connected equipment.

Comment

So I would just buy an outlet and a box for it... mount the box and plug the extension cord in to it?

Comment

yuppers and just tie rap the extra cord

Comment

Working...
        X
        =