Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom electricity issue

im not a electrician but i know a fair bit about wiring my house, however my cottage is older wiring and i understand how the switches work, i dont know why my vanity stoped working though, when the bathroom light still works. the switch is a double switch that controls 2 circuits.the light switch has a white red and black coming off of it with no ground.
    when the switch is turned on, the white and red is connected for a second and the light turns on. then the switch resets back to neutral and the light remains on as its suppose to, until you turn it in the opposite direction and connect the black to the while wich turns it off and resets back to a neutral position. however the top part of the double switch doesnt work. above the doorway is a electric box, it has 3 wires going into it and what looks to be 2 black electric ballasts, 2 of the wires goes into the ballasts and the third goes into both of them. im assuming the one black wire that goes to both ballasts is the power, and the other 2 are controls.

ok so the light in the ceiling works fine and so does both parts of the lightswitch, what im asking is why doesnt the vanity lights work, they are the old style florescent lights with starters, i have not checked the starters but it does not seem to be the problem. we have replaced the light bulbs since. any ideas?

nine times out of ten its the starters that cause the lights NOT to turn on. there's a small capacitor and a neon tube inside it that doesn't "fire" - in order for a flourescent to light, a preheat is necessary to vaporize a small pellet of mercury inside the tube. the mercury vapor conducts electricity and causes the phosphor coating to glow. this is where you get your "visible light."

Comment

Check the voltage to the switches it sounds like you have low voltage switches that are 24 volts that toggle back and forth and control a relay which sends power to the lighting fixture. If the wires going to your switches are very small around 18 gauge then this is low voltage wiring and the relay is probably shot or the toggle switch isnt working properly. Trying to find parts can be a problem

Comment

Working...
      X
      =