Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Generator Hookup

I would like to install a portable generator and have some questions as to if I am thinking right. First of all, my water pump is 220v. Is is practical to "back feed" my main panel at the water pump wiring? I know that the main breaker would need to be shut off to keep from putting power into the utility lines. The generator that I would be using only has 3 wires for 220v instead of 4 wires. I know that I would need to run a ground wire from the generator to the ground on the main panel. I have included a drawing that will explain it better. I know that this is not the best way to do it but again am I thinking "right"?

your line of thinking is correct but if this would be an inspection job, the inspector would definitely shut it down! there HAS to be a definite mechanical transfer of circuits from the main feed (i.e. - the normal service) hots HAVE to be switched, neutrals CANNOT be switched. I looked at my generator and I have a four wire plug - two hots, a neutral and an earth ground (twist lock plug) your switching has to be fool proof. if someone other than yourself were to energize the gen with the line connected something would blow up! and there's always the possibility of backfeeding the whole "crib" line back to the pole top transformer.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. Just wanted some input from someone else.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =