Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Circuit Breaker

I have a 200 amp breaker box in my home and only have 7 blank spaces for new breakers. I have a basement to wire using these 7, and also need to use 1 of these to run to a sub-panel for the non attached garage. I am planning on running a 60 amp cable to the garage and already have the cable underground in electrical pvc. No problem there, all is according to code. My question is, what is the maximum size of breaker you can run off of the main panel to a sub-panel? With only 6 slots remaining after using 1 for the garage, should I run another sub-panel off to gain more breakers for the basement? I have room for another sub-panel that I could run 60 amp to and would give me extra slots for breakers in the basement. Can I do this? Any reply welcome and appreciated. If it matters this is in Kentucky and yes I do wear shoes.
    Thanks
    JRH

first question is how many wires do you have running to the sub panel? #6 is good for 60-65 amp therefore the feeder breaker will be a two pole 60. this will take up two 1 inch spaces in your panel. the only hard and fast rule is that the breaker is sized according to the wire size. for more accessible spaces in the basement run another panel adjacent to your main panel. use something called a main lug panel and purchase two auxillary ground bars. one for the new basement panel and one for your existing garage sub panel. DO NOT bond the neutrals in either panel.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =