Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receptacle - Crazy!

I'm continuing to renovate this condo (circa 1947) and had only a couple more receptacles/switches to replace (due to multiple coats of paint).

The last receptacle was powering the fridge on a 20-amp circuit. This is what it looks like:

Basically, both sets of screws are being used as well as the four holes on the back. It looks to me like the screws are being used for the aluminum wiring, while the holes are receiving the copper wire....

The circuit is also powering the ceiling fan in the living room, a receptacle in the dining room, a receptacle in the kitchen (which, in turn, is powering a wall exhaust fan).

I'm no electrician, but I think this is an improperly wired receptacle....

What is the best way to correct this situation? The service panel is only two feet away (but to complicate matters, it's a Federal Pacific panel with Stab-lok breakers)

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

I told you before that federal pacific is a big problem. its a little hard to tell but one of the jute fiber insulated wires look copper. so what you are telling me is that you have four 12 gauge cables in that box? from what I remember from the code and cable fill in a box, one cable in, one cable out, one cable clamp, grounds are counted as one and one device is too much for that sized box. and you got four cables?? Noooo!

Comment

Thanks for the reply - I know that the Federal Pacific boxes are a problem, but there is not much I can do about it - there are 9 units in the building and they all have the same box (so does the main box, for that matter). It is impractical to re-wire this unit - major costly job - and would only make a marginal difference if no one else replaces theirs. I have brought the issue to the attention of the Board and they are looking into it and seeing what they can do.

In the meantime, I need to complete this renovation and don't know what to do about this receptacle.

My guess would be to "map" the wires and see which ones power which downline receptacles. Once identified, add a multiple gangbox and wire them in series. The wall is open at the moment (I haven't installed the cabinets yet), so it would be less of a problem fixing it now.

Does that make sense? Or is this time to call in an electrician?

Thanks,

Mitch

Comment

on that particular box you might get by if you install a wiremold extension ring. the added depth will add to the cubic inch displacement as mentioned in the code. the box sits above the surface about an inch and fastenes to the box with two 6-32x3/4 inch screws.

Comment

If the wall is open install a 4x4x2 inch box with plaster ring this will allow the room needed for the 4 wires and the plug. The plaster ring makes the opening the correct size for one receptacle

Comment

Working...
          X
          =