Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Detached Garage Door Wiring

I have completed a new detached garage with 2 overhead doors. Do these door openers need any special wiring? Can I just locate 2 receptacles (1 above each door motor) and wire these on there own circuit? Is a seperate circuit necessary for code?
    Thanks
    John

a dedicated line for a garage door opener is not needed. most motors are 1/3 or 1/4 horsepower.

Comment

I usually will run a line just for the opener(s), especially for more than one.
      Most openers I have seen are 1/2hp. Two of these combined with other loads can overload a circuit.

Comment

I thought you needed a dedicated line for garage door openers (code) ???
        Least that's what the inspector told me to do on mine. I have one door 20' wide with naturally one opener.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for Advice on Garage door

Thanks to all who respoonded. I will go ahead and put the 2 doors on a dedicated circuit. I also heard today that there is a real possibility that the circuit for door openers will have to be on a GFI in the future. This seems dumb to me. What if the GFI trips while you are trying to open door from outside and you have walk in door locked with no key?

Just something else to worry about.

Thanks again
          John

Comment

Working...
          X
          =