Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit breakers on new installations

I just spoke to my electrical inspector here in New York state and he stated that all new residential installations and retrofits with a service entrance change REQUIRE all circuits to be protected by ARC FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTERS or a combination ARC FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER WITH GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT PROTECTION. So I guess in the long run, regular circuit breakers are a no-no now. But I would assume that surface mounted raceways like wiremold or EMT or rigid conduit could make use of the regular breakers.

He is almost 100% WRONG! Unless you have a local amendment in your area actually requiring this.

A) A service change does NOT require the installation of AFCI breakers. It is the branch circuit that requires AFCI protection. A service change is not installing a branch circuit. The circuit remains unchanged.

B) ONLY branch circuits serving outlets in bedrooms require AFCI breakers.

He is quoting the 2008 NEC which we do NOT follow for one and two family dwellings.
    Even then, not "ALL" branch circuits require AFCI's.

Tell him to look at 2007 NYRC E3802.11

Comment

210.12(B)Dwelling Units.

All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sun rooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways , or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,

Comment

First off, that is an NEC quote. We do not use the NEC for one and two family dwellings.
        We use this: 2007 Residential Code of New York State

Second, that is from the 2008 NEC. I do not know of any area in NYS that is under the 2008 NEC. Residential or otherwise.

If that is what he is quoting I would love to see the text stating that you follow the 2008 NEC for dwellings.

Comment

I checked the NYS building codes as you stated there's nothing that even mentions afci-s. The whole electrical section is very vague.

Comment

Yes, it certainly can be.

What's nice is an NEC cross reference in the index. This let's you see where the IRC and the NYRC got the text.

You are also right, AFCIs are mentioned under the heading for GFCIs.
            Check the section I mentioned before. E3802.11

Comment

See if this direct link works: Chapter 38 - Power and Lighting Distribution

Yup, just click on "Bedroom outlets"

Comment

the directive is still vague. even tho it states receptacle outlets in bedrooms shall be afci protected, what happens if your home run also includes another room that isn't a bed room? Massachusetts was good. They even have a book fashioned after the NEC with THEIR requirements in it. Connecticut the same, New Hampshire the same. New York doesn't "grand-father" licenses which sux. I let my Mass master and journeyman license run out because a "license" in its raw sense is not needed. Cripes! you can be a general contractor and do your own wiring!

Comment

Yes you can, and many do.

NY is WAY behind the times with regard to electrical licensing. Hell, even home inspectors must be state licensed.

Comment

well....... I installed the service yesterday. now to get hold of the "man" for his approval. I grounded out the system via the meter's neutral terminal. my supplier doesn't have any afci-s for a cutler hammer panel or cover blank plates. my customer got hold of a panel from sumbody.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =