Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out a combo switch!

I'm trying to replace a switch/receptacle combo that broke.

The switch runs the garbage disposal in my kitchen. My wife threw the swithc the other night and found it then wouldn't go off. I cut off the power at the circuit breaker and removed the combo switch.
    It came with the house, and had three scres connections -- one brass one silver, one green. It had two white lines going to the silver, a black to the brass, and another to the green.

I went to purchase another combo, but could only find ones with five screws. The guy at the store recommended I try replacing it with just a plain switch -- which had threee screws like the combo I was replacing.
    When I wired it up as before, nothing happened. I tried a couple other confgiurations, leaving one or the other white off, and still got nothing.
    Any ideas on what I should do?

I appreciate the help!

the brass screws are for your switch and outlet hot. the white goes to the nickel screws, your neutral. the tab between the two brass screws is broken off isolating the switch from the outlet. it may also be referred to as common on the switch diagram on the box.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =