Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Possible to Wire this with existing setup

We've been redoing our kitchen. The color schemes and the age of the house come into play that have made this more challenging that what it should be. Here's the deal ....

On the existing kitchen wall there is a box that has two receptacles that are both 15 AMP but run on a 20 amp circuit (wires are all 12 guage I checked that), one receptacle is a regular 2 outlet 15A and the other is a 5224-2A (double switches sideways). We wanted to do all our receptacles and switches in black to go with our brushed nickel wallplates to match a bunch of esthetics the wife has going on. The Existing 5224-2A is white and controls the light above the sink and the garbage disposal. One of the issues is that Leviton and/or other manufacturers do not sell a black 5224-2, they only sell brown, ivory and white. I know I can get rocker switches but with the age of the home and the other receptacles we wanted standard type switches for looks.

Okay finally the question with what I have to work with...

Can I get 2 LE-5225's in black and and have each switch on a separate receptacle in the same junction box (I want both outlets on bottom hot at all time on each receptacle). The Other issue is the 5225 combo's are 20 Amp.

Will this work with the existing wiring (and i figure I might have to run a split somewhere in the junction box) and is this possible to use this hardware (5225-20A) and is it safe/compliant, since there are 2 other 15 amp receptacles on this same parallel circuit run.

Thanks in advance - I can't believe they sell the 5224-2's in that ugly brown but only sell black in rocker style switches (guess they're is still trying to peddle off that ugly brown stuff overstock from the 70's).

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by docjambo; 10-08-2009, 07:08 PM.

first of all here's a link to black outlets:
    Black Electrical Light Switches, Toggles, Rockers, Outlets, Dimmers
    now to answer your question.
    it is very common to use outlets that are rated 15 amp on a 20 amp circuit. leviton and eagle show the outlets to be 15-20 amp on their packaging. you want a receptacle to be hot on the bottom and have the top switched? are you talking in a three gang box? with a duplex switch?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      first of all here's a link to black outlets:
      now to answer your question.
      it is very common to use outlets that are rated 15 amp on a 20 amp circuit. leviton and eagle show the outlets to be 15-20 amp on their packaging. you want a receptacle to be hot on the bottom and have the top switched? are you talking in a three gang box? with a duplex switch?
      Its a 4" multi-gang (holds two receptacles). Right now one 5224-2 (15A) sits on the right side which the top switch powers the light over the sink and the bottom switch powers the Garbage Disposal. Currently the left side is just a normal duplex outlet (15A). On the existing 5224-2 there are two wires on the right side and one common on the left. My question is can I use 2 5225's which are 20 amp .. the 5225's have a switch on top and an outlet on the bottom. I don't want outlet to be switched but want to know if I'm okay swapping those to 20 amp and will I be able to use the existing wiring to wire the 2 switches as they were with the pair of 5225's and have the outlets always hot.

Comment

2 Combinations

I have included a diagram of how to take out what you got and replace it with two combo switch/outlet units. The disposal line goes on one combo and the light goes on the other combo. If there is two feeder cables coming into the box this makes it even easier. One cable will feed the disposal and outlet, the other will feed the light and outlet.

Comment

Okay got ya. We have to still tear out the old countertops and let the countertop installers do their thing but I was going ahead and ordering what I needed from an electric standpoint to be ready for the final part of the project (once they get done and we finish our backsplash).

I'm on it ..... and do appreciate the pics.

Comment

one question I forgot to make mention on. are these switch-outlet combinations within 6 feet of the center of the sink? if they are you'll need to switch out the breakers serving them with gfci breakers. because - I haven't seen switch-outlet combo's with a gfci receptacle on it.

Comment

Actually they are .... and after doing some additional research (and convential switches no longer apply) ... perhaps to be all compliant I should have GFCI on two other duplex outlets on the counter top and if so .... I was looking at these:

This one for what I was originally posting about wiring (2 of these)
              15 Amp Black Switch and Receptacle 1595SWTTRBKCC4 by Pass and Seymour

Then I guess 2 of these for the other two outlets on the backsplash (so they match and are code compliant:
              Pass & Seymour #1595BKCC10 15A Black Premium GFCI Outlet

Now my wiring all got more fun - I guess huh ?

Comment

they DO make a black gfci/switch combo but where you'd get a black one is beyond me. ace hardware sells pass & seymour receptacles.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =