Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical shortage, cable

So a little while ago, we had a huge power surge and our house ended up in half black-out for a few days. We had a technician come out and he told us none of our outlets were grounded (which is incidentally common in our area), and he did a temporary fix. Now, however the cable will not work; it cuts in and out with picture and sound and will never function for more than 3 minutes at a time. I was wondering if there may be a fix to this problem. I have checked with the cable company, and according to them its an electrical issue and not something with the cable box. Please help me out?

Thanks!

I beg to differ with the cable company. If there was a power surge and the input power was above 135 volts, the power supply in the cable box is shot! the cable box gets its power from the grid NOT the cable itself. have you checked out your tv if maybe the power supply in it got fried.

Comment

The TV itself is fine, it turns on and everything to show the "one moment please" cable error message. The Box itself also turns on, but the cable will not work. The internet is also out, but I believe this is due to the modem being fried. I hope there's a way to fix the electrical wiring without grounding the wires and tearing up the walls , as I'm not sure the landlord will help out. The lights in the house flicker a lot, and most of the time we'll have momentary outtages in which the power turns on and off quickly. We're looking into surge protectors...Is there anything else we can do, or a way to figure out exactly how to fix it?

Comment

Power surges are one thing and usually don't happen on a regular basis like what it seems your experiencing. I think Hayzee is onto the real reason your cable isn't working, being your cable box is shot (they really are not all that great when they have a big power surge), If you have power at the outlet that the cable box is plugged into then there is no reason your box shouldn't be working other then box related, if it were me I'd be on the phone telling the cable company to come check it out. Your responsible for supplying power and a TV, they are responsible for the feed and getting the picture to you.

I'd also be talking to the landlord about the flight flickering on and off, that really isn't a great thing, from what your explaining it sounds more like your electrical issues might well be at your home perhaps at the service panel.
        Your landlord has a responsibility to provide you a safe environment, this includes your standard electrical devices.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =