Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Outlets stopped working

I have only two outlets outside my house, one in the front, one in the back, they both stopped working. I checked the box downstairs, the "outdoor outlets" still show as "on", and I switched them on and off a few times, it did nothing, they still dont work. I had an extension cord in the back running into my garage as there is no power run to it yet, running two lights and a garage door opener, this was the only thing ever plugged into the outdoor outlets. It must have had something to do with them not working anymore? I dunno.. anyways, can you point me in the right direction as to what to test and how to do it properly / safely... I shut off the jumper downstairs and took the cover off the back outlet to see if anything was fried or frayed, it looks ok, but I have to run to a store to grab a tester and an outlet. Should I replace the outlets? Or can the breaker downstairs fail and just stay in the "on" possision?

Thanks - Tony Montana

Tony,

You need to look around your house, in the bathrooms, garage, outdoors for an outlet that is a GFCI and has been tripped. You should be able to reset it and have everything working again.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

is a GFCI outlet one of those ones that has the two buttons on it? one said reset and the other says test? because if so, I only have one of those in my house in the master bathroom, and its fine. Still no luck outside though. Only two outlets outside on one breaker and just no luck.......

Thanks - Tony Montana

Comment

I have one of the GFCI buttons, with no outlets that controls my two outdoor plugs downstairs under my breaker box that I somehow missed... after walking around my house in -45C with windchill about 3 times and being 100% sure it wasnt outside, I took one last look downstairs and found it... yey... I can actually plug in my cars now!

Thanks - Tony Montana

Comment

Glad you got it working! Thanks for reporting back.
          Try

Comment

Tony,

Gee whiz you got us beat. It only got down to -42C here! Canadian winters you got to love 'em.

Glad to here you found the problem.

Jim

Comment

outdoor outlets

Just wanted to say thanks. I couldn't believe my garage GFCI was causing the outdoor outlets not to work.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =