Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there better be a DAMN good reason for using a 30 amp breaker! Let's just hope the wiring is 10 gauge to all those devices! I sincerely doubt it! 14 gauge is good for 15 amp. they're 15 over the cable's rating - potential fire. #12 good for 20 amp, another circuit that's 10 over the cable's rating - another potential fire over time! Device wiring most is 16 gauge or 18 gauge for lighting. pigtails to devices are 8 inches or less. Armataz do some detective work!

Comment

30 amp ????..... that IS dangerous. Like Hayzee wrote at best the wire is 10amp over the rating (12/2) and probably more like 15 amp over (14/2).

The reason that someone probably put it on a 30 amp was that it kept tripping on anything less, now I probably don't need to tell you what happens to 14/2 wire being overloaded by say 28 amp draw (under the 30 amp required to trip the breaker) but I will.........it gets hot, very hot and this is not just an electrocution issue but a major fire hazard.
      What gauge wire is being used on the circuit ?
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

local building inspector passed it .I have permit license, contractor that did the work and approvals in my paper work. thanks for the heads up.I'll have to do some checking now, have it re-inspected. replacing an amp switch aint hard, but I dont like playing with that much raw current. besides that one aint my screw up LOL.TAZ
        nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by armataz View Post
          local building inspector passed it
          building inspector is NOT the electrical inspector
          .I have permit license, contractor that did the work and approvals in my paper work.
          Contractor ought to have his license pulled!
          thanks for the heads up.I'll have to do some checking now, have it re-inspected. replacing an amp switch aint hard, but I dont like playing with that much raw current. besides that one aint my screw up
          LOL, maybe but when you are staring at a burned out building, see who laughs last!

LOL.TAZ
          The building inspector isn't an underwriters approved person for electrical. He has to do with general construction, static loads, support framing etc.

Comment

I still wanna know what size wire is running on that circuit !
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

The only use for a 30A single pole breaker in a residential setting is for an RV receptacle. All other single pole breakers should be 15A or 20A.

Comment

trying to find out for you.I used yellow jacketed 3 strand 12 gauge for my add on.
                the existing wire looks to be a little heavier in a black casing but I cant see any writing.
                I'm having my boss's electrician come out tomarrow and do an inspection. I figured with what you guy's are telling me, I'ld better call in a pro.
                thanks.TAZ

Comment

well steve the electrician came out, pulled the 30 and dropped in a 15, all the time muttering about the guy that originally did the work. did a run threw on the box, found the ground strap was not to his liking either asked me who did the work.
                  showed him the paper work. he said figgers and gave a few thoughts on his questionable liniage and upbringing.
                  asked him to check what I did.
                  he said the bath was probably OK, but he said that pig tailing off one of the other sets of wires was better then using the GFI. so I did that change.
                  now the outlet is on the same circut as the living room lights. good to know for future reference, incase I want to use that track system later.
                  and it only cost me a half case of coors.
                  Oh, almost forgot, the wire guage was 10 guage wire. thanks to all that helped.TAZ

Comment

That's just great! for you! At least you can rest at ease that your place isn't going to be cinders in the morning. Like Normel said I can't see the use of a thirty amp breaker UNLESS it is feeding a dryer receptacle or an RV connection. You shouldn't need to run a 30 on house circuits.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =