Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting reverse polarity / neutral switching

I am looking for some advice on troubleshooting an electrical circuit in my 1920s home. I apologize for the length of this post, but wanted to give as much detail as possible. The circuit feeding most of the house is all BX through the walls with exposed conduit in the basement. When we moved in, all of the electrical outlets were changed from two-prong to three-prong plugs, but none were tested afterwards. We bought a TV recently that shorted through the CATV cable ground when we plugged in the TV. Thinking this was pretty odd (since the old TV had been just find connected in the same way), I tested the AC receptacle - reverse polarity. I then tested the other receptacles on the circuit and nearly all were reversed but all are connected "correctly" with the white on neutral and black on hot.

Then I started looking inside the boxes of each device and tracing the circuit. What I found was that the first device (a receptacle) is definitely wired correctly and checks out fine when tested. The B/W then run up the wall to (I believe) a light fixture. From there it gets a little confusing. The light appears to be switched on the neutral (white), with the incoming whited tied to a white leg which is connected to the switch. A separate red takes the hot (black) from the light to the switch. This pattern continues in many places - in each box whites are tied directly to whites, blacks are tied to the device and a red wire, with the return leg from each switch coming on black as well. In all a bit more than a dozen devices are tied into this circuit. Most of the electrical will be replaced and remapped (ie, separate circuits for the bathroom, office, bedrooms, etc.) in the coming years as we renovate, so for certain areas I would be okay with a second-rate fix, but normally I like to find the root and fix it there.

Even though the neutrals are switched, I don't see why the receptacles are reading as reversed, since the circuits seem to be connected correctly. What am I missing? Here is what I *think* is a portion of this circuit in the diagram (View image: circuit.jpg). So, my questions are:
    1) what is the most reliable way to isolate the cause of the reversed polarity, and
    2) what is the most efficient way to fix it in the short term? If needed, would I likely be able to disconnect the BX at the fixture and pull through the wall, also using it to help fish the replacement romex?

I am comfortable doing the work myself and have the skills to troubleshoot (I'm an EE), but would love some practical advice on troubleshooting this problem. As usual with our house: something simple like a new TV leads to something major like electrical replacement. Thanks in advance for any help!

neutrals are NEVER to be switched. they are to made up with splices continuous to the neutral in the panelbox. BLACK or RED/BLACK combinations of the hot are to be switched. it is extremely hazardous to have steadily connected hot wire to a fixture.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      neutrals are NEVER to be switched. they are to made up with splices continuous to the neutral in the panelbox. BLACK or RED/BLACK combinations of the hot are to be switched. it is extremely hazardous to have steadily connected hot wire to a fixture.
      This I know. However, because all of the correctly-connected receptacles have reversed polarity, it would appear that the white is hot and the black is neutral for most of this circuit. It has probably been this way for 50+ years. It's just not clear to me how this scenario got started on this one circuit, which probably covered the entire house at one point.

The question is whether this problem is best solved in the short term by reversing the white/black to the hot/neutral sides of each receptacle, or whether I should dig into the switches/light fixtures and change the wiring so that the red/black is always switched and, if so, whether this would even solve the reverse polarity problem at the receptacles when white/black are neutral/hot as they are supposed to be. Thoughts?

Comment

since the circuits get their start at the panelbox, I would start at the panelbox and see just WHAT is connected at the neutrals and breakers [fuses] if the white(s) are connected to the breakers(s) or fuse(s) and the blacks are on the neutral bar, then it may be a simple matter of switching the colors in the box. but this opens up a PANDORAS box too. EACH junction box, each outlet box and each switchbox needs to be opened and checked for what is switched and what isn't. I'm actually talking about a whole house check albeit a complete rewire.

Comment

The black/white start out correctly (see diagram in original post) but at some point the polarity seems to switch. This is the main confusion - pandoras box is open and my post here was geared at figuring the mess out. I have checked about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fixtures on this circuit including *what I believe* is the chain leading to the first incorrect receptacle, and will continue checking more thoroughly in the coming days/weeks. I understand that if everything is truly incorrect, then a complete rewire is necessary (and will be done in time anyway). What I'm looking for are whether there are any common methods to troubleshoot this problem, whether there are any common errors that would cause this problem, and how feasible rewiring without tearing apart walls would be...

Comment

Working...
          X
          =