Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Short" in Sony TA-AV411

Hi All!!

I have an intermitent short in my Sony TA-AV411. I thought the issue might be in the Right Chanel Board as the right chanel is low and scratchy. I switched the two boards and it is the same. I then shook the unit and both chanels came through sounding great - for a few seconds. How do I trace the short down?? As the unit is almost 20 years old it doesn't pay to have it professionally done so I don't mind working on it myself and learning something in the process!! Are there common areas of failure to look at first or must I trace the signal from Power Cord on down?? Many thanks.....MB

if your board was SHORTED it would not operate. you'd see smoke as it burns up.
    what you have is an intermittent open. start moving components around one at a time. when you find the loose component you'll get your volume. just re-solder the connection.

Comment

Your terminology is correct. "Shorted" would indicated what you stated. Thanks for the correction and the "fix". I'll let you know what I find. Do I start with the main board or start elsewhere?? MB

Comment

start in an area that moves around a lot - volume and tone controls, speaker switches, speaker binding posts, plugs and jacks. maybe the boards plug into one another.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =