Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to run power outside

I was wondering if I can take an existing socket in the house and use it to run power outside via drilling through and then running conduit. I guess the question is can I still use that socket or cap it from the inside....not sure you can run wire out the opposite side?

if you have enough slack wire you can drill to the outside, install a surface weatherproof box and gfci with weatherproof plate. you don't need a conduit sleeve.
    if you don't have slack then drill the hole, install the box, use enough cable to come back inside the existing box, splice onto the existing cable with wirenuts and install a blank plate where the receptacle coverplate was.

Comment

thanks. I meant I would run conduit underground to where I want the power to be accesible.

Comment

once you penetrate outside use a fitting called an LB. This changes the direction of the run. In your case going underground means the LB would face down. Use PVC conduit to where you want to go burying it 18 inches down in sand - bottom and on top of - run thhn/thwn wire in the conduit because according to code you can't run romex inside conduit. use three wires - black, white and green [ground]

Comment

Working...
        X
        =