Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dedicated GFCI circuit breaker to pool pump keeps tripping

Pool pump working fine until yesterday. All of a sudden, the circuit breaker trips, no water near the outlet, pump working fine all day. I had turned it off and on a few times as I backwashed the pump, thats the only thing I had done. I checked the pump, tried it on a different circuit, pump and cord fine. I thought maybe an arc in the outlet, so I replaced the outlet. Its a water resistant outlet($15), but that didn't help. Circuit is dedicated to the pool, so no other outlets on that breaker. If I unplug the pool pump and reset the breaker, it is fine until I plug in the pump. But like I said, the pump works fine on another circuit and doesn't trip the breaker. Could it be a faulty circuit breaker? I suppose that does occur but I never had a circuit breaker go bad. Anything I could do to test it? I hate to buy a new breaker and then not have it be the problem. The GFCI breaker is $60, pretty pricey unless I'm sure of it. The only other possible problem would be a fault in the wire somewhere underground where its buried. Who knows!

OK, catch word here is "everything is alright until I plug in the pump." There is a leakage path from the winding to ground or the neutral to ground. Remove the pump and take it to a motor repair shop. Have him do a meggar test on the windings. This will tell him AND you if there is a problem with the motor windings.
    It may be just moisture inside the cable, plug, or motor junction box.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I could be overlooking a motor problem. The motor didn't trip the breaker on another circuit, but I suppose it wasn't a GFCI breaker. Sounds like a good next step. I HATE POOLS!

Comment

A GFCI breaker is much more sensitive that a standard breaker.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Sure enough, breaker and wiring is fine, pump is the culprit. Small small leak coming through the housing, just enough to short it out. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =