Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI to Leviton 5225 Outlet

Hello,

I am replacing an existing outlet, non GFCI, to a combination outlet. I have searched the forums here and I have everything almost working except one thing. I can't seem to get the switch on the 5225 to control my light above my sink. Either it's on all the time or it doesn't come on at all.

I have three wires coming in from the breaker box, black, white, ground. That comes into my GFCI plug. I'm not sure what I'm missing after that. Going from the GFCI to a regular outlet works fine, but I'd like the combination switch so I can turn the light on and off and leave the outlet on the bottom of the combination switch have constant power.

The 5225 has a gold screw and a silver screw on one side. Two black screws and the ground on the other. I took it apart trying to figure out what I was missing and didn't write down what I originally did. So I just have the GFCI plugged in right now, so I have at least one outlet to use.

Thanks so much,

John

You say you are removing a GFCI, Code is that you must have a GFCI recp. within 4 ' of a wet area (sink). This is a safety feature that could save your life or someone else. Also GFCI is required on outside plugs, which sometimes when home is built they may use a couple of GFCI to protect the outside plugs. If this is the case you could be removing that protection for the outside plugs. Be careful

Comment

Combo & GFCI

Follow this diagram for your problem. the only change to this will be if your existing light has a switch loop in the switchbox. Get back to me and I'll redraw the circuit

Comment

Sorry if I worded that incorrectly, I'm not removing the GFCI, I'm just running a combo switch off of it to a light above the sink.

Thanks so much HayZee, I've been traveling for work, so I haven't had a chance to try your diagram yet. But I will definitely give it a shot when I get back to the house!

Comment

John said "removing a gfci." I guess he didn't read the OP. Try my diagram - it should work. everything will be "hot" as long as the gfci doesn't trip.

Comment

Thanks so much HayZee. I was finally able to get to this plug this weekend. Diagram worked perfect! So simple once I think about it now.

Again, thanks so much for your time!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =