Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom wiring

Hello, it's me again. I've been trying to figure out the bathroom wiring and need a little help. The downstairs bathroom was easy, but this one is just giving me fits.

There are 5 wires in a double-switch box. Four of the five are related and one of those four seems to have the word "light" written on it, although I can only see the letters "LI" so I assume it says "light". All four of those have a black, white, and ground. The whites are all tied together, and two of the wires' blacks are tied together with two pig-tails coming out of it.

The last wire, on the left, has a red, white, black, and ground in it. This corresponds to the wire coming out of the ceiling light box.

I'm attaching a diagram; I'm hoping someone can assist me with how to hook this up. Since it can only accommodate two switches, I would assume one of those switches needs to be a double-switch, but please let me know if this is incorrect.

Thanks!
    Last edited by charmed; 07-11-2010, 10:42 PM.

with all the whites together indicates a white from the feeder, a white to a downstream feed, a white to a light fixture and a white to another load. for the blacks. two blacks together means a connection of a feeder to a downstream application. the two black pigtails must go to a double single pole switch yoke. on one side of the switch is a break away tab - evidently the tab was broken off. the other side of both switches get the two separate blacks. a three way seems like it would go in the second position. black to the odd colored screw and the white and red on the two brass screws.

Comment

bathroom

see if this diagram makes any sense to you

Comment

Almost right

The combo fan/light you have listed is just a fan.

There are only 3 devices in the bathroom:

- Fan (on ceiling)
        - Light (on ceiling)
        - Vanity light (on wall above vanity)

Dawn

Comment

then the only thing I can figure is that they used the three wire as part of a switch loop. a hot must exist in the area where the ceiling fan goes.

Comment

Wiring fixed

The electrician wired it so that one switch turns on both lights and the other turns on just the fan. I'll post the diagram once I find my notes.

Dawn

Comment

Working...
            X
            =