Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI problems

I am having 2 different problems with 2 different circuits in my Garage. One 20A GFCI has tripped perhaps 4-5 times over the past few months. It has been in place about 2 years as the first outlet in a series around the garage. All of the outlets are indoors. It has tripped both with and without items plugged into the receptacles downstream. It has never tripped when something was actually drawing current from the line and it always resets when it has tripped without any problems. Comments on this please?

The second circuit, also 20A was wired at the same time. It had not tripped until just recently. Shop tools were plugged into that circuit but nothing was running when it tripped. It will not reset when I attempt to push the reset button. Unplugging those items does not resolve the problem. Comments?

There are other 15A GFCI used for ceiling florescent light connections that are not having any problems. Any chance the GFCI's are faulty? How should I go about trouble shooting these problems? Try replacing each with a new one first? Disconnecting the downstream outlets? Start with an outlet in the middle of the run? I am trying to avoid chasing my tail here. Last question: Would the brand of the GFCI be an issue? I've heard some negative things about the brand I used (after installing them). I won't mention the brand unless someone offers an opinion on it. If I hear to "avoid using X brand" I'll know perhaps it is the thing.

I believe I would replace the GFCI , they do go bad. I'm not a electrician, but have worked around electricity. But we never installed a GFCI on a lighting circuit. I believe that would fall under the National Electrical Code, GFCI is for outside and wet area.
    Stay with a good name brand

Comment

Thanks.

John:

Your answer was my gut instinct. I believe that if I replace one of them and it does NOT do the same thing, then I can conclude The GFCI was at fault. The truth is the cost of a New GFCI is immaterial to me...The time wasted trying to nail down the problem one box at a time would be much more expensive. I just hope that it is the GFCI's. If not, I'll be back with the next question. As for the 15A GFCI on the lights, it did not seem like a bad idea (overbuilt perhaps). The odd thing is that I updated my Bathrooms in my Circa 1970s house to GFCI boxes and have never had a problem with them faulting (for over 20 years). Heheh, I just got back from hitting the test button on both as I don't tempt fate.

I'll check back in here when I get this resolved.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Leviton and Square D seem to be the most reliable GFCIs. As to nuisance tripping, high humidity in a garage will trip it. remember the function of a gfci is to detect a current imbalance between a hot and neutral or a hot and ground. doesn't necessarilly need to go through a connected load. lights don't need to be on a gfci UNLESS personnel can make direct contact with them or they are in a wet environment or in direct contact with earth. nearness to earth. bathroom receptacles need be gfci and kitchen circuits need be gfci.

Comment

first 1/2 of results

I started with the circuit that was tripped and would not reset. New GFCI installed, turned on the breaker and POP, it trips. But it does reset. Odd. So after shutting off the power at the breaker, I picked outlet #4 as it was the easiest to access. Pulled it out, nothing looked wrong. Two wires were touching in the box but the insulation should have prevented any problems. I checked everything for solid connections and popped on the breaker. The GFCI did not Pop. It does pop when tested and then resets as well I added some electrical tape after closely inspecting the wires (no visible damage) I then spread the wires, pushed to box back in and checked it all again. Problem solved. I just wish I knew why. Perhaps best not to question the fickle gods of home wiring...Thanks for the help guys! I am going to postpone working on the other breaker for now as it is not faulting.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =