Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Panel

My garage has one 15 amp outlet. I would like to add a few 110v 20 amp and 220 30 amp outlets in addition to a 220v 50 amp for my welder. Does a subpanel require a double pole main breaker? I will be ocassionally be using power tools, compressor, welder. Will a 60 amp circuit from my main service (200 amp-no elect stove) using # 4 copper to the subpanel (15 ft) suffice? Thanks

As long as you have a 2 pole 60 amp breaker in your main panel, you shouldn't need another "main" in the sub-panel. A few things about sub-panels you may or may not know. When you feed your sub panel, use a four wire sub-feed cable for 60 amps. You will have two hot legs, a neutral and a ground. In your sub-panel, make certain your neutral bar and ground bar are isolated from one another. The neutral should not be bonded in your sub, only in your main. Also, you may want to drive another ground rod at the garage and take a # 8 back to the ground bar in the sub. A sixty amp should be able to handle your load needs for any weekend warrior projects you might come across. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info Pal Joey,

Does the code call for a minimum height for the outlets in a garage? I have an electrical theory question. Maybe you know the answer. Why does a sub panel have the ground and neutral isolated while the main does not?

Thanks,

TeePee

Comment

Working...
      X
      =