Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceiling fan speed control

installed two ceiling fans one has burned up my brother in law says that a rotary switch is only type that will work without burning them up. i installed them and used a slide type of speed control. based upon what i have read my control may not be rated for the amps required to control both fans. who is right?

lighting loads and motor loads are a horse of different colors. lighting dimmers chop the ac sine wave to pulsating d.c. the motor dimmer or speed control varies the voltage. Lutron and a unit made for Grainger will control up to six ceiling fans.

Comment

ceiling fan speed control

thanks for the information. have you ever hear wheather a rotory style control will make a fan last longer than a slide? something to do with starting the fan at the fastest speed then slowing it down?

Comment

any speed control when set up with a fan, the fan should be set at its highest speed. that way the remote speed control is controlling the whole winding instead of parts of it. the type of motor for the fan is called the PSC motor. Its an induction motor with a start winding and a capacitor in series with the winding. the capacitor gives the motor a kick to get it spinning.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =