Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights flicker

I have 3 recessed lights connect to a dimmer switch in my kitchen. These lights "flicker" (dim and brighten) sometimes. Could the problem be in the connections, in the dimmer switch or at the fuse box?

Thanks!
    DandD

quote:Originally posted by DandD

I have 3 recessed lights connect to a dimmer switch in my kitchen. These lights "flicker" (dim and brighten) sometimes. Could the problem be in the connections, in the dimmer switch or at the fuse box?

Thanks!
    DandD
    Hmm, It COULD be because of the dimmer or connections, but, are those three lights on the same circuit as maybe the referigerator or some other appliance that has a fair size motor in it??
    A.D

Comment

Yes, now lights in family room and hall do the same. Washer was on and they did it. Off they stop. Could we have issue with load coming into house?

Comment

Yes, now lights in family room and hall do the same. Washer was on and they did it. Off they stop. Could we have issue with load coming into house?
        Do those lights that are affected ONLY flicker when the motor in the washing machine starts? ---> They dim when starting, then return to normal as soon as the motor is running?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rewired

Do those lights that are affected ONLY flicker when the motor in the washing machine starts? ---> They dim when starting, then return to normal as soon as the motor is running?
          NO, they continue to flicker until the washer is turned off of cycle. This now happening in family room and hall way too.

DandD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rewired

NO, they continue to flicker until the washer is turned off of cycle. This now happening in family room and hall way too.

DandD
            Hmmm....... Hmmm......
            This problem has just started and seems to be getting worse????

Well, if the washing machine, and all the affected lights are all on the same circuit (sure hope not!!!), that points to the problem being DOWNSTREAM from the point where the breaker makes connection to the main buss in the panel , a loose conection of some kind that doesn't really act up when just the lights are on but may be heating up and moving around when the load of the washing machine is put on. could be a loose wire nut or something like that, could even be the connection right at the breaker between it and the main buss!!!.. Those "push in" connections in the backs of switches and outlets sometimes get loose and cause trouble (I have seen a few heat up and burn away, a few where the wire popped right out completely!) The problem may be a bit hard to find because it could be in the back of an outlet or light or something else on the circuit that appears to operate normally. you would have to shut off that circuit and start looking at connections in every fixture and device that went off, including junction boxes... Now IF all the affected lights and the washer are on separate circuits and the lights are flickering that points to the problem being somewhere upstream of the main breaker but including the main breaker, like a bad connection in the meter socket or underground or whatever. Please let me know if everything is on one circuit and if there is anything else you find thats odd thats happening with your lights.
            - Adam-

Comment

Working...
            X
            =