Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic on/off light switch

Not worth buying $30 dollars worth no dimmable LED etc, so threw out the auto light switch and put in regular switch.

I bought a GE motion sensor light switch which is being used in the bathroom and a light bar. The Manual on/off works flawlessly, but in auto mode when it switches off three of the bulbs stay on at a dim low power and flicker, whats going on?
    Last edited by mawil1013; 10-17-2020, 11:18 AM.

Sounds like some power is still getting to the bulbs. Does the motion sensor light switch have a dimmer?

Is it connected to a three-way switch?
    Last edited by handyandy; 10-14-2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

So these are just general questions about motion lights, I am not familiar with the specific model that you are referencing. You should try to move the sensor from operation to test mode if you haven't, and if the sensor is set to max range it should be lowered. If you are using LED lights, the usual reason that they flicker is because the dimmer expects high voltages while the LED expects low voltages, so it could be as simple as the LED lights themselves. If the lights are florescent, it might be a different problem. As much information as you could give would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
        Sounds like some power is still getting to the bulbs. Does the motion sensor light switch have a dimmer?

Is it connected to a three-way switch?
        Nope, no 3way, no dimmer. simple on/off/auto

Comment

Originally posted by HelpfulHenderson View Post
          So these are just general questions about motion lights, I am not familiar with the specific model that you are referencing. You should try to move the sensor from operation to test mode if you haven't, and if the sensor is set to max range it should be lowered. If you are using LED lights, the usual reason that they flicker is because the dimmer expects high voltages while the LED expects low voltages, so it could be as simple as the LED lights themselves. If the lights are florescent, it might be a different problem. As much information as you could give would be great!
          No dimmer, simple on off auto, no test mode switch. I scrounged up an incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and they shut off with out flicker, its looking like the easy fix is put the LEDS away and buy fluorescent, The LED that flicker say not for dimming, I see new LED bulbs that say made for dimmer switches, even though there is no dimmer switch, I wonder if they will work.
          Last edited by mawil1013; 10-15-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Worth a shot to try a different LED. I have several different kinds, dimmer, no dimmer, etc. and they all seem to work differently. They don't dim from "0 - 100" like an incandescent will do, they have a smaller range. I'd try a different LED or stick to the CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by mawil1013 View Post
              Not worth buying $30 dollars worth no dimmable LED etc, so threw out the auto light switch and put in regular switch.
              Too bad you can't use your automatic on / off switch. I wonder if there are others that would work better with your LED lights? I like some of the smart LED bulbs that interact with Insteon, etc. Perhaps something like that could work for you:

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
                Worth a shot to try a different LED. I have several different kinds, dimmer, no dimmer, etc. and they all seem to work differently. They don't dim from "0 - 100" like an incandescent will do, they have a smaller range. I'd try a different LED or stick to the CFL.
                A CFL is not energy friendly as much as a LED. LED will give you all the features of the CFL + extra efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =