Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to insulate existing recessed lighting?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to insulate existing recessed lighting?

We have numerous recessed lights that leak air (and thus contribute to energy loss) due to the natural heat ventiation of these fixtures. In new construction one can use special Insulation Contact ("IC") fixtures that are air-tight however this is existing construction and in most cases I don't have access to the crawl space.

So how can I replace or augment these fixtures so that they are air-tight? If someone can point me to a product online or a make and model of a suitable replacement fixture that can be installed from within the living space, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have you checked to see if the can lights in question are in fact "new work" models ? and if so are they rated for IC ?
    Take the bulb out and look up inside the light there should be a little sticker that will give you it's IC rating (or not). If you remove the ceiling trim/baffle kit and look at the way the light fits on/in the ceiling, is the drywall cut all the way around the steel can or does the steel can have a lip that covers the drywall hole. If it has a little lip then the can is most probably "old work"/"remodel" and can be easily removed from the ceiling replaced with IC or allow you to add more insulation over the top and reinstall.

Most important thing is to first work out exactly what you have installed.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

in addition to what pushkins said, look up into the can and see if there is a thermal cutout. when the can temperature exceeds a setpoint the thermal device will open. most heat is directed upward. insulation tends to keep the heat there shortening the lifespan of the bulb and can hardware. most hardware is a porcelain socket and high temp leads. splices are made in a box remote of the can in a junction box. I would advise against putting any insulation around the can or over the top of it.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =