Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion detector light....

I have a motion detector light, brand new, in the box, with OUT the wiring diagram. The label on the unit says it's a Motion Detector with Security Light, Model BC870K. There are two light sockets connected to the motion detector module. A black and white come from each socket, while the module has a black, two whites and a red. Is the following the way to wire this?: three blacks together (module and two sockets), three whites together (One module and one each socket), remaining module white to house neutral (house white), remaining module red to house hot (House black).

the motion detector's electronics has to be powered on all the time. the lamps are wired in parallel, their whites also in parallel. so follow this - line to detector's black, line white to detectors white. line white to lamps white[s] - lamp blacks to red. now the confusing part -- if you wish to use an external switch - put it in the detector red to black lamp load. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SWITCH THE LINE WIRE TO THE DETECTOR.

Comment

Wiring diagram...

Glad I asked first! I will follow that. a question, though. What is the problem with switching the line to the detector? It doesn't hurt it when powered up. Is it because of constant switching that would cause damage?

Thanks again, HayZee.

Comment

the electronics need a constant source to their timing circuits to function properly. when you switch the power input, the electronics are constantly going through a self test.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =