Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subfloor mistake plywood parallel to joists

I am new to the forum and get to start by admitting I made a rather basic mistake when replacing my kitchen flooring. I am replacing vinyl squares with engineered 5/8" wood floor and ended up removing a significant amount of plywod subflooring down to the joist due to dry rot. The existing subfloor was composed of 2 layers of plywood - a 1/2 " layer on the bottom and a 5/8" layer on top. When I added the first layer back, I ran the layer parallel to the joists, thinking I would run the second layer perpendicular for more strength. After talking with a friend last night, he mentioned that plywood should always be run perpindicular based on the structure of the plywood. I had noticed that even though the new plywood was screwed in to the joists, it didn't appear to be quite as supportive as the old good wood run in the other direction.

I believe that since I will be putting 5/8" plywood in the right direction along with the click lock 5/8" flooring on top, I should still have plenty of support in the right direction. Even though its only 5 or so sheets, I would prefer not to have to take it up and replace it - several sheets had tricky cuts to fit in bay windows and around walls, door frames, etc. I also have some concerns that it may not meet building codes as is.

Appreciate any feedback

sorry

Installing the plywood inconsitant with the manufactures recomendations can be a issue with the building inspector. If you can acsess the botom side of the floor you could simply put in blocks 2 foot on center to stiffin up the floor and provide the support the plywood needs. Then your over all finished product would be alot stronger.

The other thing to think about if you just go with what you have is what your engenered floor allows for deflection. Most engeneered floor are designed to be fully suported and only allow for minimal deflection or out of plain differences.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =