Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstable tub

I have a wood frame home that was built in the 50s in South Texas. The home has some settling issues. But lately I have noticed that the tub squeaks when I am taking a shower, I only weight 155. I have removed the access panel that I left for plumbing repairs and have found that the tub is not sitting on the floor, only the outer front panel where you enter. What is the best and easiest way to place support under the tub? There is not much room to manuever under the tub. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, OMB

the back part of the tub usually rests on a stringer fastened to the wall studs. the front of the tub sits on the floor.

Comment

unstable bathtub

Thanks for the answer. Ok, so why am I having the problem I am having? What do I need to do? The tub has developed a one inch hairline crack about the middle of the tub. I am worried about it getting worse. The tub is about 21 years old, what can I do?

Many thanks, OMB

Comment

obviously it isn't a cast iron tub - so that leads me to believe it's fiberglass. that crack is only gonna get larger. basically a tub install consists of the stringer [2x4] or a 2x6 that the rear lip rests on and the part that you see that goes all the way to the floor. the tub part is actually floating between the stringer and the outer part. whatever weight is put inside is distributed to the outer lip and the back part on the stringer. In short, I think you are looking for a tub replace down the line. Get somebody that knows how to install a tub.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =