Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inexpensive peel and stick over vinyl floor

I would like to change my flooring in my kitchen to those inexpensive peel and stick floor tiles. Now we have sheet vinyl flooring. There is also a "dip" in the floor the width of the kitchen. Do we have to take off the vinyl flooring to level the floor before we put on the tiles, or can we put a subfloor over the vinyl and then install the peel and stick. I also heard that the "stick" isn't very sticky and we should use and adhesive, is this true?

That peel and stick is VERY agressive! I used that in our kitchen and foyer. If it's not placed ACCURATELY when you set it down, you'll destroy it trying to adjust it! The trick with that stuff is to use a blow dryer or heatgun on low. Warm the tile without messing up the good side. As for any surface that you'll be setting the tile on, clean, grease free, and an EXTREMEMLY SMOOTH surface. If you're setting down an underlayment like luan panels, then make sure the joints are filled. Nails (use ringshank, spaced no more than 5" or 6") should be set slightly below the surface and puttyed. Any bumps or cavities WILL telegraph through. The slightest bump will be larger once the tile is over it. And THAT bump will be the first to get worn off! Something else to consider will be the overall thickness of the flooring once you're through. Will you be able to remove the dishwasher? Oftentimes the kitchen floor gets built up with several layers and gets closer to the counter tops. (Too much is when you have to lean waaay over!) I had to take out the floor cabinets and build up under them and the dishwasher to level it all out. Added a full 3/4"! There were a number of floorcovering jobs on that one!

Comment

I would recommend filling any dips in the floor, even if you are going to put down underlayment..

Comment

What about the groove

What do you do about filling in the groove when putting in "peel and stick"? Can you use grout like you would on ceramic tiles?

Comment

Using grout......

Grout would probably work. I'd use anything that would not want to crumble. The floor should be as smooth as possible. ANY little bump or blemish WILL show! A small bump will become enhanced by the tile thickness. Kind of like if you place a pillow on a bed and keep throwing blankets over it. Eventually, it'll be as large as the mattress! What ever you use, sand it ncel;y, vacuum the dust, damp-wipe the floor. As for the sticky-ness of those tiles, make sure you accurately place them, as you'll get only one chance. Once they touch, they don't move.

Comment

I have installed the peel and stick in both bathrooms. I find that there may be one or so that doesn't stick well. I just suggest you be sure that the surface is clean and free of debris. I couldn't hurt to put another adhevise, but many folks on here talk about a primer that helps in adhering the flooring.

Comment

I'm about to install peel and stick tiles over vinyl. The floor is flat, so no problems there. But there is some very slight relief (texture) in the existing vinyl, probably no more than one millimeter deep in the surface of the existing flooring (and maybe not even that much). If I clean the floor well, can I apply the tile directly on the vinyl, or will that oh-so-slight amount of relief cause problems? I'd really like to get by without covering the whole floor in luaun.

Comment

Floor tile....

If there's a bump, it will show. If there's a depression, it will show. Sacrifice a square by laying it in a high traffic path for a while and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob
                  Sacrifice a square by laying it in a high traffic path for a while and see what you think.
                  thanks, that actually sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =