Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete floor over wooden subfloor?

I am considering concrete flooring in a new single story home. I am leaning to having a crawl space vs slab and was wondering if a standard wooden subfloor/joists would support a concrete floor? Thanks in advance for the feedback

No, standard pier and joist sub floors will not support any concrete floor.
    Only way to have a crawlspace with a concrete sub floor would be to have an engineer design a pier system that can accommodate the metal sheets that will support the concrete when poured, as well the concrete will have to have re bar installed PLUS the concrete slab will have to be tied into the foundation walls on all the exterior.
    Also don't forget that there will need to be anchor bolts installed into the wet concrete (or drilled in later) that will tie the bottom plate of the walls.
    This will not only be a builders nightmare with plumbing and electrical issues it will be very cost prohibitive.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback pushkins. What is your take on this product/method? Seattlesurfaces.com/blod/how-to-install-concrete-floors-over-plywood-sub-floors (not allowed to post urls here yet).

Comment

I looked at the posted site, there is nothing there that says it can be applied over a wood and joist sub floor, nor do I think there would ever be a bold statement saying they can apply it over said floor.
        Concrete is not flexible and wood joists floors are, so simply put the two are not compatible. Now I know that some will say what about tiled floors....your right but laid correctly these are laid over either an isolating membrane (Ditra) or a cement based backer board screwed down, both of these allow the joists and sub floor to move independently of the backer boards or membrane.
        You might also throw out there about floor leveler a cement based product that we often use, however this isn't used for large areas like entire floors over wood joists again for the above mentioned reasons.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =