Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Raising a Sunken Family Room...DIY?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Raising a Sunken Family Room...DIY?

[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]
    <div align="left"><div align="left"></div id="left">Hello,
    I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to home repairs/improvements, so though I can envision a finished project and even surmise how to get there, I don't know a lot about the little details.

My husband and I purchase a nice Colonial/Split home that needed a lot of updating...because we secretly hate ourselves and could think of nothing better to do with a lot of money. Well, the biggest problem (though for some it may not be one) is the family room, it is sunk in about 8 or 10 inches. The reason that it is a problem is that 1)the hallway off the foyer runs right into the family room, so you have to step down...not a problem right? Well, the kitchen is adjacent to the hallway (flows into the family room) and is on the same level as the hallway. So to go from hallway to kitchen through the family room requires that you step down, the turn and step up...needless to say, there have been a lot of stubbed toes and twisted ankles for those of us who don't do step aerobics.

I envision ripping up the carpet and laying joists and subflooring to elevate the entire family room (with the exception of a step-down well to the back door which I would like to wall in [1/2 wall] and gate. I don't want to raise the doorway, it leads to the screenroom.)to the same level as the kitchen and the hallway.

I am a drafter and have drawn up floorplans for my past employers but I don't have a lot of experience with working with concrete and wood hands on. The family is on a slab (an extension of the slab that was poured for the garage...if not the same)and my schooling was very vague in little nuances like how you attatch floorjoists to concrete and such.

I want to know if I have my head way to far up in the clouds to think that this is a project that my husband and I could possibly complete together, or is there anyplace that I could get the how-to
    so that I can stop stubbing my toes. The room is a little longer than a 2-car garage is wide,(I know because if I hit the wall in my garage, I'd be in the family room) and about 16-feet wide.

If I'm crazy...by all means tell me now...</div id="left">

...Stress is when you wake up screaming & realize that you weren't even sleeping...

Is the sunken LR all concrete? I guess in any case you could build up from the floor to floor joists which would have steel joist hangers fastened to the concrete walls. For fastening I would use 1 inch powder actuated fasteners like something made by Hilti or Remington and shoot them into the concrete. The wooden joists would slip into the hanger and be fastened with sheetrock screws. The underside of the joists would have supports about every four feet to keep the up and down movement to a minimum - so the floor wouldn't bounce.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I believe it is for the most part, I know that it is definately concrete along the wall that is shared with the garage.
      Would I have to put some type of vapor barrier down first? What I really need to know, before I jump into the how-to's is whether this
      is something I should tackle on our own. It sounds simple enough, and I actually understood and could visualize what you said...my husband would be proud.
      I'd just hate to pay someone to do a job that we could do ourselves, but I'd also hate to botch a job that we should've contracted out.
      CB

...Stress is when you wake up screaming & realize that you weren't even sleeping...

Comment

This might seem novel but how about filling the hole with styrofoam peanuts when you're done roughing the opening. Then use a poly sheet over the joist before you put the floor and subfloor in place.

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't understand your last post. Maybe I'm not being clear. My whole family room is sunken, as in purposely built on the same level as the garage, so you have to step down into it.
          As far as I can tell, the walls are just you standard wood-framed walls, the foundation for the room is a concrete slab with a wood subfloor on top. I want to raise the entire floor to meet the kitchen so that the entire first floor will be on the same level. I don't understand the 'hole' thing. Easily lost...hard to find...
          CB

Comment

Hello
            Well I think if your trying to do a sunken tub,where you bought the meterial there should be a person to advise you on it.Is your husband doing any of the planning with you if so he might be helpful.Also if your still having trouble i would build a regular tub.[:I]

Linda Lee
            Linda Lee

Comment

Working...
            X
            =