Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic tile on concrete floor

I am thinking of laying tile on a bathroom floor next summer. I've read posts on moisture test (thank you). Floor is concrete now and will need leveled. The floor now is painted and can I put leveler over the painted surface and will it stick? Or do I need to remove all paint first to make it work. Thank you. PS this is a fairly small room about 12x12 in size.

I would recomend scratching the surface first to allow the floor leveller to adhere. There are carbon tool attachments available for ordinary floor machines.

Have Fun eh?
    Tom McNall
    Great Northern Stone

Have Fun eh?
    Tom McNall
    Great Northern Stone
    www.greatnorthernstone.com
    www.marblecleaning.net

Comment

You will need to remove most if not all the paint in order to ensure a good bond between the thinset and the tile to concrete.You will need to do this by mechanical means ,do not use any thinner or other solvents to remove this paint as you may cause more problems than what you have now.
      Afetr the paint is removed you may want to do a mat test on the slab to check for m.v.e's(moisture vapor emissions)to see if this will cause problems with the bonding of the tile to the slab[8D]

Floorman
      floorlayers union local 1310
      Floorman
      floorlayers union local 1310

Comment

Here is some good advanced reading for you: http://www.tileusa.com/porcelaintile_faq.htm

Have Fun eh?
        Tom McNall
        Great Northern Stone

Have Fun eh?
        Tom McNall
        Great Northern Stone
        www.greatnorthernstone.com
        www.marblecleaning.net

Comment

Working...
        X
        =