Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another flooring question

I have a 6-year old home with 3/4" tongue and groove oak flooring throughout most of the house. The house has a concrete slab, with a tar-type sealant over the concrete, followed by a polyurethane vapor barrier, nailed 1/2" plywood and then the oak.

I want to replace the oak with ceramic tile in high traffic areas like the kitchen and main hallway, but I'm unsure what all I'll have to remove. I want all the floors at the same level to eliminate any trip hazzards.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Just tile over the wood, it should be strong enough. If you tear out the oak, you will still be safe laying down tile if it is concrete below. Just make sure all the nails are removed or nailed in.

Have Fun eh?
    Tom McNall
    Great Northern Stone

Have Fun eh?
    Tom McNall
    Great Northern Stone
    www.greatnorthernstone.com
    www.marblecleaning.net

Comment

Under no circumstances should you ever tile directly over 3/4 t&g flooring.You will need to either pull the flooring out where you want to tile or go over the wood with a layer of 5/8 plywood to isolate the t&g flooring but then the flooring levels will not be the same that way.
      You would need to cut the flooring and the plywood in a way that you would be able to get the new flooring in and maintain the level desired,which trying to get the lines straight and even and still maintain the integrity of the wood may be harder than we think.
      Whatever you decide it will not be easy,so when you commit to it be ready for a pain in the arse experience.
      The easiest and best way may be to go over the wood with plywood and live with the transition

Floorman
      floorlayers union local 1310
      Floorman
      floorlayers union local 1310

Comment

Working...
      X
      =