Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can I pick or find a good carpenter?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I pick or find a good carpenter?

The landing in our entrance door is roting away, we have had plumbing leaks in the kitchen and bath long enough to probably cause some serious damage to the main structures under the floors--we have finally decided we have got to get a loan and get these things fixed before we fall into the basement and with such serious repairs, and since every penny counts for us, we need to find a carpenter who truely can be trusted to know what he is doing!! Both my husband and I know nothing about this kind of work--is a reputable carpenter licensed?? Are they insured or registered or certified or something ---so if they do a poor job we have some sort of recourse or protection??? Any suggestions on how or where to start looking for help with repairs like these???

Welcome to the forum.

Inviting someone you don't know into your home to do work definitely has its risks. I would suggest you check with friends/ relatives/ neighbours for people they have used in the past with success. You can call your local Home Builders Association for recommendations. Check with your local Building Center to see who they deal with that talks knowledgable, buys quality products and pays their bill on time.

Around here you don't need to be licensed and you also don't need insurance unless you have 3 or more employees. Check with your Insurance company and they will tell you if you would be covered for an accident/damage caused by a worker and they could tell you what to ask that the worker carry for coverage of his/her own.

Please do not pay for the work before it is completed.

Check with your local building inspector to see what permits are required ( also another potiential source of a recommendation).

Inspect the work as it is done (before it is closed in) to see the materials used and process. Preferably the building inspector would insist on seeing it also.

Good luck,
    Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Call some of your local restoration (flood, fire and disaster) contractors with good reputations and ask them who they use.[8]

Have Fun eh?
      Tom McNall
      Great Northern Stone

Have Fun eh?
      Tom McNall
      Great Northern Stone
      www.greatnorthernstone.com
      www.marblecleaning.net

Comment

Working...
      X
      =