Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No mechanical restraint?

Good Morning everyone.

I am finishing a garage that will be used as an "in-place" swimming pool room. Partition walls will be erected to form out a bathroom and a small office nook in this once 2 car garage.
    The concrete flooring is heated using hot water running thru tubes imbedded 1-1/4" below the surface.
    Under no circumstances will he allow us to ramset the bottom plates of our partition walls to the floor for fear of piercing the tubes. He has asked if there is a glue that'll join wood and cement. I told him of Pl Premium. My question is, can I glue the bottom plates to the floor and that being the only way of attaching the plates? I have learned long ago that there should always be some mechanical form of attachement (nails, screws, bolts, etc...).
    Presently there is a small attic above this garage. Eventually he will want to convert this space to a small apartment (raise the roof, etc...). How does this affect our job? I am going to double the top plates and prepare these partion walls for their eventual load bearing needs.
    One last thing, The ceiling is of the sheetrock kind. The only cutting I was going to do was to open up the areas where my walls will go to attach the top plates. After that I will attach furring strips directly onto the sheetrock to the joists. I will place a vapor barrier (because of the constant humidity-a fan will also be installed to exhaust humid air) and attach new sheetrock to finish this ceiling. All this so as to not remove the existing insulation. Is this allowed by code or do I have to completely remove the existing ceiling and insulation only to replace it?

Just a little note: He had a little water leak that is now repaired. It has left the joints in the ceiling looking pretty bad. That is why we are even considering "covering" it up.

Thanks,

Craig

Working...
X
=