Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chipboard floor squeak

hi
    I'm new to this forum so pardon for the repeat of this problem if already posted, although I have searched. Also I am not sure if my UK language can translate to US etc terms.
    We have a 12 year old house in UK with first floor constructed with chipboard flooring nailed on joists.
    Naturally over time they move and are now squeaking alarmingly. I understand that it is best to screw them down to the joists.
    But do I have to get the nails out first? If so how.
    Also what is the tool called that 'punches' if thats correct, screws directly in to the chipboard, or is there another way. What type of screws are best?
    Also how do I find out which way the joists go (I can see the nail heads)as I dont want to
    a) screw in to a blank space
    b)screw in to a pipe.

or is there a better method - I dont want to lift the chipboard as that would be too major a task for me.
    Thanks in anticipation[:I]

ian dee

Here in the US we have something called a crowfoot that is used to remove nails. It's a bar that's shaped into a tight 90 degree angle with a V slot at the end. Put the V slot next to the nail and pound on the backside with a hammer and it wedges itself underneath the nail head so you can pull it out.
    Standard bugle head sheetrock screws can be used. If moisture is a problem used stainless steel or hot dipped galvanized screws.
    Joists usually run the shortest path on a floor construction. Pipes if any are usually fastened to the underside of the joist so penetrating a pipe isn't a problem.

Comment

Thanks Thomas
      I thought I would run in to the language problem! I have that in Florida where we have a house!
      Search on Google shows crowfoot as a wrench type tool.
      I know the tool you refer to but cannot find its UK or related term.
      Are you also suggsting that it would be best to remove the nails when screwing the boards?
      Damp is not a problem re the screws

ian dee

Comment

Leave the nails in - Once you fasten with screws - should be no problem. On the underside of the floor you might try to "poof" some talcum powder into the joint - that way if a nail decides to move - the talc will lubricate the nail - wood barrier eliminating the squeek

Comment

I found something in the UK that's just called a nail puller.
          Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

Comment

thanks again
            Nail Puller it is! also thanks for the talcum tip

ian dee

Comment

Hi Ian and welcome,that chip board that you refer to is called o.s.b. here in the states(oriented strand board).I think you would want to use a sronger screw than that of the drywall screw for the floor.You can get a deck screw with a higher tinsil strength than that of the drywall screw.If that fails you can get little wedges to drive in from underneath to help stop the squeeks[8D]

Floorman
              floorlayers union local 1310
              Floorman
              floorlayers union local 1310

Comment

o.s.b. thanks for that info. Another bit to my knowledge of the language.
                I'll have a look at Home Depot or Lowes when we go over next month to FLorida!
                good tip about the wedges and deck screw, thanks

ian dee

Comment

If you'd like to be sure of where the joists are, use a standard stud finder. That will light up and tell you exactly. Some of them will even tell if there's wiring or plumbing in that area, too.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =