Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trimming GRANITE

We had black granite floor tiles installed in our Kitchen on the countertops it is pretty except the guy that did the job was not too good my husband had to really watch him. A few of the granite tiles are a little uneven I was just glad to get the idiot out of my house. Please tell me a way to trim the granite, it isnt bad but enough to notice,I have a Dremel however I am not sure what type of tool to use.

Not quite sure what you mean by uneven?Are they higher/lower than the next one?Are they hanging over the edge of the counter?If they are uneven(lippage) then there is no real way to trim the pieces you would need to remove and replace them.
    If they are hanging over the edge then that could be a problem as well,how is the edge finished off?
    Please let us know[8D]

Floorman
    floorlayers union local 1310
    Floorman

Comment

The tiles have uneven edges, in other words around the edges of the counter instead of having it bullnosed or trimmed this so called tile man,didnot put the tile even, he said it wasnt square , however I truly think he could have at least cut it to even out the other tiles some of them are straight I have a Dremel we were gonna buy a Carbide diamond cutter attachment for it and try to even them up. Please give me some info.[:I] Pat Postscript- The tiles I am speaking of are about1/8 th inch maybe not quiet that much lower and just about 3 not many but enough to notice.

Comment

A small wet diamond saw might do the job for you in a portable battery operated "skil saw"

Comment

A dry cut blade may work but you would need to be very careful not mess any of the other tile up that you want to keep.
          You may want to see if you can get him back to change them.That would be the best way to go.Those dry cut blades will stir up alot of dust as will the dremel tool[8D]

Floorman
          Floorman

Comment

Thanks for the help. The tile man was either strung out on something or just plan stupid, so that is why we were eager just to get him out of our house. I suspect he was on some medication who knows. I believe we have found a way to correct the problem, snap a chalk line then use a Tungsten Carbide bit to trim the edges. This Forum is the greatest it helps to know there are nice persons out there that are willing to be of assistance. PAT

Comment

If for some reason this does not work the way that you would like it to you could possibly get a piece of wood trim that would hide that edge and then grout the top of it to hide whatever irregularities there are left[8D]

Floorman
              Floorman

Comment

That carbide Dremel bit will work fine. Especially if you use that cone adapter to keep it verticle. I'd suggest you have a helper keep a shop vac nozzle right at the cone to keep the dust down. Also, eye protection and a breathing mask are must's for this. For you and the helper. The chipped glaze is dangerous as is the ceramic powder.

Comment

One more thing.....lay down a nice layer of masking tape over the tile the Dremel will be riding. Cover an area big enough that won't be damaged.

Comment

Thank you MR CAPTAINBOB for the tips . I have an elecric Dremel, however we are purchasing a corded specifically for this project . I got this tip for using a Dremel on some chat line( I cant remember which one) anyway the guy is a stone cutter he actually used a cordless Dremel on Granite. I think it is better if one has never done a project such as this , to go with exactally the same tools . I priced a cordless they are 69.95 for the whole kit not bad because this granite isnt cheap dont want to mess it up! Thanks again PAT

Comment

The cordless won't have the staying power the corded does. Cordless is only a handy thing to have. I just had an experience with a vanity sink. Had to 'move' the holes for special faucets. The sink material is quite thick where the faucets set. I went through 4 carbide and four diamond Dremel bits, and well over 4 hours grinding time. I used my corded, as the battery one we have (wife's) would not have held up. But, they are handy.......

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =