Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Time between Sanding and finishing wood flo

Hey all!

I just bought a house built in '67. First thing we did was rip out the old shag carpet to expose a (mostly) beautiful Oak Hardwood floor.

I have the floor sanded (finished on Monday), but there are some spots in the living room where the wood needs to be replaced. I'm a bit worried about waiting too long to finsh the floor. I live in Maryland, and it is pretty humid this time of year

My question is:

1) How log can I leave the floor before finishing?

-or-

2) Can I finish all rooms except the Living room (where the damage is), and then finsh that room later?

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to being a contributing member of the forum!

-Sig

Welcome to the forum! Apparently no one knows the answer to this questions, I guess you have everyone stumped!

How long do you want to leave it unfinished? Are we talking a few days or a few months? I wouldn't leave them more than a few weeks, I would think.

Anyone else?

Try
    Try

Comment

daimon you should be ok for a bit but 2 things I have to say.

1)if you install new flooring for repairs you will want to sand it down so that it is level and you have to sand the new pieces with fine grit even if it is already level with the rest of the floor or the finish you put down will look different on those pieces.

2)you can do the other floors first but if they are all connected just end on a seam maybe at a doorway where you will put a threshhold or something but it should be no big deal, I recently did a hallway with stain that joined 3 bedrooms with a natural look and it all looks good even with different colors.

Hope this info helps --after sanding and finishing some floors I realized it is not a precise science

1)sand with three different grits
      2)clean up sawdust really good
      3)stain (if you want)let dry 1 day
      4)apply poly (1 coat per day)
      5)buff

1 other tip: when staining or poly don't leave window open with sawdust on window sill, for example, as if the wind blows you now have sawdust imbedded in your finish

Comment

Working...
      X
      =