Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ME I AM RUINING MY WALLS

I am a first-time doityourselfer who is about to call in the contractor. I decided to redo our small powder room and remove the old tile to hang paper or paint. Well, after chiseling and malloting it all off I have small chunks and large chunks of drywall missing on the wall. I tried plaster repair stuff but it's so bumpy now it's rediculous. HELP! Where do I go from here?

Gal who don't know squat

Don't panic.........

I'm guessing it is a small area behind the washbasin?

In all likelyhood, not only have you made some holes but you may have taken some of the paper layers off the dry wall.

It sound like you filled it and hoped to sand it down but you have used too much filler.

Faced with this I'd do one or two things.

1. I would but a decent chisel and remove as much of the filler as I can so that the wall is not "proud" and can be filled again. I would buy wide blade (about 10") for joint compound, and refill the holes. The 10" blade should take care of keeping the surface level. If you dip the blade in water occasionally, you will get a very smooth finish hat rarely needs sanding.

or

2. Cut out a square of the offending drywall and replace it. This may be more troublesome because the "seams" need to be taped and then, getting a smooth finish is a little tougher as it requires some technique

good luck

Comment

Don't panic.........

I'm guessing it is a small area behind the washbasin?

In all likelyhood, not only have you made some holes but you may have taken some of the paper layers off the dry wall.

It sound like you filled it and hoped to sand it down but you have used too much filler.

Faced with this I'd do one or two things.

1. I would buy a decent chisel and remove as much of the filler as I can so that the wall is not "proud" and can be filled again. I would buy wide blade (about 10") for joint compound, and refill the holes. The 10" blade should take care of keeping the surface level. If you dip the blade in water occasionally, you will get a very smooth finish that rarely needs sanding.

or

2. Cut out a square of the offending drywall and replace it. This may be more troublesome because the "seams" need to be taped and then, getting a smooth finish is a little tougher as it requires some technique

good luck

Comment

Working...
      X
      =