Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing warped subfloor in bathroom

We are selling our home and the inspection came back asking us to repair the the warped subfloor due to water damage in the master bathroom. The area is approx 1'X1' and is currently covered with vinyl. How much (rough estimate) would it cost me to get a professional to fix it and would it be a better idea and an easier fix to do it myself?

Did you ever find out the price of having a professional do it? I have the same problem in my bathroom and would be very interested in knowing what the turnout of your situation was/is.

Comment

In my experience this kind of quote is almost impossible to give, every time I get a call for a similar repair the "Quote" Simple repair "Unquote" turns up much worse.
      Water is a very invasive to wood and if let go too long always causes much more damage especially to floor joists and the like.

If it is just sub floor damage then it's as simple as cutting out the damaged section and replacing that section with new sub floor material.

In some cases the floor joists below may be badly damaged and need repaired or replaced.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

In my case, it is just one small section of floor. The warped part is very hard, it is just raised. It hasn't spread and hasn't shrunk as far as I can tell. I did caulk around the shower to make sure that it didn't happen again. My father said that it is possible that since the water source has been cut that the floor will dry out and level out. Also, in the 2nd bathroom there is some damage in the corner. The floor is hard except a tiny piece about 1"x1" is missing. Again, my father told me not to worry about it. Just retile and caulk. What is your opinion (Pushkins) sight unseen?

Comment

Depending on the sub floor type it may or may not ever "go down" again.
          If it is a strand board or a chip board, once it gets wet and swells that's it "all over red rover". It will need replacing to make a flat surface again.
          Sometimes with ply sub floors you might strike it lucky, tho again usually once the boards swell the glues used to construct the boards are destroyed and alas the swelling remains.
          I'm not so sure I'd be too worried about a 1" x 1" area as long as you have FIXED the water problem, any gap could easily be filled with tile cement when you retile, or just fix the 1" x 1" area with a new tile.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =