Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-slip staircase covering/carpeting???

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-slip staircase covering/carpeting???

We have a 150 year old house with a centre hall plan, up the middle of which winds an attractive but steep spiral staircase.

It has what is probably the near-original floor covering, which seems to be some sort of vinyl - not only is it startlingly unattractive, it is also rather slippery.

Now, we also happen to have way too many house-pets (4 dogs, 7 cats), all of whom have slipped either clambering up or scooting down this staircase. So have I....very painful.

I'd like to lay some sort of covering that isn't as slippery (or ugly) - I'm thinking of some type of matting - sisal, etc - but I've read that these coverings become slippery, and aren't great for stairs, therefore.

I've thought of having a carpeter install carpeting, which isn't slippery, but will become very hairy very quickly, according to previous experience.

Any other suggestions?!

Many thanks!

Scallywag

You can buy "tread grip" which is a lot like sandpaper. It has adhesive on it's reverse side and a similar surface to sandpaper on the tread side, you simply cut to suit your size and shape tread, stick it down and the problem is solved. I have seen many different colors available but for the most black is the more common.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =