Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parque floor

I pulled up our carpets and noticed that we have parque flooring and have a few questions on refinishing. First the house was built in the 1950's. The floor is uneven and squeeks in certain areas. I had a few estimates of approx $3.00 a sqft to sand and resurface the floors. They said that once the floors are sanded and polyurthaned most of the squeeks will go away. Will they?? Also I pulled a few boards out that were lifting and noticed the sub floor nails were popping. The guys said they would nail the boards down where needed. The floors are in pretty good shape beside the squeeks and the popped boards, are they worth it? Someone told me I should leave them alone and buff them and just use a floor cleaner to clean them up. I don't know what to do. I don't want to waste $3,000 on a floor that will squeek and having the boards pop in afew years. Any suggestions????

Is their access to the floor joists under the floor? If you have access to the floor joists under the floor, say from the basement, you could drive screws at a 45 degree angle through the floor joists into the floor underlayment to fasten the floor down firmly to stop the squeaking. It's doubtful that the squeaking is coming from the loose parquet floor on top of the subfloor.
    Last edited by Aurora; 05-15-2006, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Yes I do have access from the crawl space. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Comment

I agree it is very doubtful that the "squeaks" your hearing is coming from the parquet flooring. Most often it comes from the sub floor as that is what ultimately has the give in it when nails "pop". The nails shouldn't be re nailed they should be hammered down and screws added to hold the sub floor better.
        As mentioned by the previous poster using screws up from the basement is a great solution, all you need is someone above to walk on the floor and you underneath marking the spots that squeak. Make sure your screws are NOT too long (I've seen that mistake plenty of times).

Buffing the floors is not something that anyone can make a call on without seeing the existing quality of the parquet floors. I've worked on one house that all we did was polished them (after 15 years of being covered with carpet) yet at most it requires floors to be sanded back and re polyurethane, especially if water or pets found their way onto the carpet.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

There is another alternative for screwing down the subfloor in the event that you do not have access to the floor joists from below.

There are special floor screws that can be used to screw into the floor from the floor surface but which break off below the floor surface so that there is no exposed head showing from the surface. You can get them here:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?productID=SNM-3320

They are not exactly cheap but they do work quite well. Of course, if you have loose parquet you could remove the parquet and just use regular screws to resecure the subfloor to the joists. Relay the parquet over the subfloor to cover up the screw heads.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Could I use a finish nailer and shot the nail through the parque and the subfloor?

Comment

A finish nail will not be strong enough to hold the sub floor down for very long (if at all).
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Think about the source of your squeak problem. The nails which are holding your subfloor to the floor joists have, for whatever reason, lost their holding power and have allowed the subfloor to move up and down when you step on the floor. The squeaking is most likely being caused by the friction of the subfloor on the loose nails. If you shoot a new finish nail through the subfloor and into the floor joists you are just adding more nails which will eventually loosen and add to the squeak. Additionally, you need to draw the subfloor tight to the joists to eliminate the travel of the subfloor. Screws will draw the subfloor tight to the floor joists and will not loosen over time.

Comment

After some thought, we have decided not to have the floors resurfaced. We'll just clean them and throw a few rugs down for now, then in the future replace them with new floors. Another question I have, what is a good cleaner to use to get the dirt and grime off? Is there a wood restoreer I should use? Also there are a few black spots ( from a dog I guess), is there a way to get rid of them??

Thanks again

Comment

Thank you for reaching out with your questions about refinishing your parquet flooring. It's great that you're taking the time to consider your options carefully. Refinishing can be a significant investment, and it's important to make an informed decision.

Firstly, regarding the unevenness and squeaking of the floor, the estimates you received suggesting that sanding and refinishing can help reduce the squeaks are generally accurate. Sanding and applying a new layer of polyurethane can often fix minor imperfections and reduce squeaking, as it essentially provides a fresh, even surface. However, it's important to note that if the underlying subfloor is severely damaged or uneven, it may not completely eliminate all squeaks.
                    As for the popped boards and subfloor nail issues you noticed, having the professionals address these concerns during the refinishing process is a good idea. They should be able to secure any loose boards and address the nail popping problem, which will contribute to the overall stability of your floor. This is essential for ensuring the longevity and durability of your parquet flooring.

Regarding the choice between refinishing and leaving the floors as they are, it depends on your goals and budget. Buffing and using a floor cleaner can give your floors a refreshed appearance, but it won't address the underlying issues like squeaks and popped boards. If the parquet flooring is in reasonably good condition apart from these problems, refinishing is likely a worthwhile investment to restore its functionality and aesthetic appeal.

To make an informed decision, I recommend the following steps:

Get multiple quotes from reputable flooring professionals to ensure you're getting a fair price for the work.
                    Ask the professionals about their experience in dealing with parquet floors and their track record in addressing issues like squeaks and popped boards.
                    Request references from past clients who have had similar work done, and reach out to them for feedback on their experiences.
                    Consider your long-term plans for the house. If you plan to stay for a while, investing in refinishing may be a wise choice. If you're planning to sell soon, it could also increase the resale value of your home.
                    Ultimately, spending $3,000 on refinishing your parquet floors can be a worthwhile investment if it improves the overall quality and appearance of your home. However, it's essential to ensure that you're working with experienced professionals who can address the specific issues you've mentioned.

I hope this information helps you make an informed decision. If you have any more questions or need further guidance, please feel free to ask.​

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =