Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finish and stain for red oak floor

Greetings, floor experts!

I am about to re-finish an oak strip floor. The floor does need sanding and we are not upset about losing the "patina". The floor has not been sanded before. The wood is red oak. We can see that for some strips, the wood has some areas that are naturally quite dark. We had considered just sanding the floor and finishing with a water-based finish that does not go amber. However, we are concerned that the result might be too bright in general, with those areas of darker wood being quite stark.

I am interested in looking at some stains that will give the wood a little amber color. We don't like "golden oak", but wonder if "maple" or "fruitwood" are possibilities.

I guess the question is where to get stains that are compatible with water-based finishes.

But that really opens up the question of which water-based finish. I was planning on using Varathane diamond floor finish (semi-gloss). They offer stains also, but don't say which can be used under water-based finishes.

I have heard of a Swedish product called "Glitsa" which is suppposed to be very good but seems to be harder to apply.

Can anyone advise me on the best finishes, and compatible stains?

Tom
Working...
X
=