Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air leak in basement

Hi, Folks.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to be posting this question in but I'll try anyway.

In our basement there is some "caulk" between the cement floor and the cement wall. I heard a hissing coming from that area so got down there and determined it was coming from the caulked area. I got some tissue paper and held it by the crack and it got sucked into the crack i.e. the air is going from the basement, not coming in. Any idea what the hell that could be all about? I can post a picture if that makes it easier.

Cheers, Max

Awfully strange, There's normally not any caulk in the wall/floor joint and if it's there then that usually means that water found it's way in through this joint and someone tried to stop it by installing the caulk.

I'm wondering if you have a sump pump in your basement and if there's drain tile beneath your "crack" leading into the sump crock. If you do, does the pump discharge out onto your property at ground level or is it tied in with the storm sewer system or perhaps even the sanitary system.

Comment

Hissing air....

Is there a radon unit in your basement?

Comment

Yip, we have a radon mitigation unit in our basement. There are two pvc pipes going into the cement in two of the corners. The closest is one to the "air leak: is about 8 feet away.

Comment

Air leak....

Clean out the old loose caulk and recaulk it so the radon unit will work more efficiently.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =